Thursday, April 2, 2009

Lyn Collins - "Mama Feelgood"




It's no secret that I'm a sucker for a righteous slice of sister funk...and when it's the wonderful Lyn Collins serving it up, you know there's going to be some serious heat. Although unrelated to the dynamic Collins brothers (Bootsy and Catfish) holding it down in the JBs, Lyn contributed a similar talent and energy to the James Brown stable. "The Female Preacher," as she became known for her powerful vocal delivery, released a handful of influential sides on the People subsidiary of Polydor Records (including the heavily sampled "Think"). Born in Abilene , Texas, in 1948, Collins began singing at an early age. She joined the James Brown Revue in 1971 after the departure of Vicki Anderson and endured the grueling touring schedule for four years before departing in 1975.

"Mama Feelgood" features a characteristic outing from the JBs: interlocking guitars and rhythmic blasts from the horns set against a perfectly sparse bassline and a driving drum beat that seems to tie everything together. Ms. Collins tells us "It's time for everybody to get a hold of yourself. You see, life is too short and I'm afraid we just don't have enough time left. That's why they call me Mama Feelgood. 'Cause I do my Thang. And I'm tellin' you it's about time you started doin' it too!" I'm convinced and I'm sure you will be as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment